There are an estimated 3,800 traditional brick-and-mortar travel agencies distributed throughout Colombia. The Colombian Association of Travel Agents conducts a semi-annual survey to gauge general consumer trends and travel agent performance in the market. Here are some top-level findings interpreted from the data collected in the H1 2015 survey:
- While most agencies indicated a general improvement in sales for both domestic and international flights in the first half of 2015, international flight sales weakened relative to domestic flights.
- A weaker peso is one factor impacting international travel demand. Short-term visa restrictions for Colombians traveling to Europe were recently lifted. However, travel agents expressed concern that bookings for the first half of 2016 would be a slow period in travel.
- The United States is the top country destination for Colombian travelers.
- Latin America was the most sold region, followed by Europe. Mexico, Panama, and the Dominican Republic are among the most popular destinations within Latin America.
- Beach and cruise vacations are the most popular travel product types sold.
- A significant share of travel booked is paid in cash rather then credit. Travel agencies are still in the business of financing vacations.
- Packages and flights still make up the bulk of traditional travel agency sales, about 78%. Hotels account for about 9% of sales.
- Of the 87 agencies surveyed, average sales were fairly evenly split between corporate and leisure travel.
The following figures were created from the survey data:
Q1. How did 2015 H1 domestic and international bookings perform compared to 2014?
Q2: Where did Colombians travel? Most sold international destinations
Q3: Most sold international destinations within Latin America:
Q4: Top sold destination types:
Q5: Payment Method:
Q6: Products sold, most frequently (% of total sales) :